While the cold season seems like it’s already been here for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Maintaining low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve come up with a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To start controlling your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do some of the smaller things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a buzz at 724-370-0141. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy McMurray weather.