Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name some—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Kowalski Heating, Cooling & Plumbing in McMurray about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the period of time between expert cleanings.
Above all, schedule routine HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Kowalski Heating, Cooling & Plumbing. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Kowalski Heating, Cooling & Plumbing about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters regularly and exchanging them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand exchanging.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your McMurray home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Kowalski Heating, Cooling & Plumbing a call at 724-370-0141.